tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 09 05:00:48 1997

Re: va, DaqvaD lughHa' "ARRIVAL INFO" vIlI'pu'

[email protected] on behalf of Chet Braun wrote:
> DaqvaD lughHa' "ARRIVAL INFO" vIlI'pu'
>
> This was intended to mean:
> I transmitted "ARRIVAL INFO" to the wrong location."

When you're using a verb adjectivally, and when you're also using a Type 5
noun suffix with that phrase, the noun suffix gets pushed to the verb.

Daq lughbe'vaD
for the wrong location

Notice that I used {-be'} instead of {-Ha'}.  We're not sure if you can use
verbs with {-Ha'} adjectivally, since Okrand himself has only given rules for
{-qu'} (and an example with {-be'}).  Besides, {lughbe'} is sufficient for
"incorrect."

In this case, since you're talking about transmitting information to a place,
you could replace {-vaD} with {-Daq} (though either could be used):

Daq lughbe'Daq pawmeH De' vIlI'pu'
I have transmitted the arrival info to the wrong place.

Yes, {pawmeH De'} means "information for arriving."

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level