tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 08 10:32:29 1997

Re: Go back three spaces...

lab peHruS:
& In a message dated 97-07-06 21:01:32 EDT, SuStel writes:
& > [from peHruS]
& > > Yesterday I ran AT my friend's house. The distance "spanned"
& > > four kellicams.
& > > I see this as jogging in the proximity of the friend's house. I
& > > do not see -Daq as referring to/toward running to his house.
& >
& > there's  plenty
& > of evidence to prove that {juHDaq} means "to/towards home" if
& > that's what you need it to mean. Consider the example in TKD:
& > {pa'Daq yIjaH} "Go to the room!" The context here is very clear.
&
& Then, how do you say "I run at his house?" DaH qaqaD SuStel

pagh DaqaD.  "I run at his home" is  <juHDajDaq jIqet>. It happens
to be equally ambiguous in Klingon and English whether the home is a
target or a location. Context clears confusion.

If you wanted to be very specific, you could distinguish between:

juHDajDaq jISaHtaHvIS jIqet
and
juHDaj vIghoStaHvIS jIqet

yIqaD'egh, peHruS.  tlhIngan pab yIghoj.

yI'Ij: tlhIngan pab wISovbejbogh Daghojchu'pu'DI' qechmeylIj Huj
qelqangchoH latlhpu'.  qech chu' chupDI' po'ba'wI', qel Hoch.
jatlhqu'taH ghojwI' mIS, qel pagh.  po'wI' yImoj.  'ej yItob.

- Qov

Back to archive top level