tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 07 18:04:25 1997

Re: De''e' neHbogh charghwI'

>Date: Sat, 5 Jul 1997 22:41:01 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Alan Anderson <[email protected]>
>
>qaD Qermaq:
>> DaH SaqaDqa'! cha'logh mu'tlheghvam yImugh!
>>
>> <SuvwI' Dabej.>
>
>jang charghwI':
>>"He definitely acts like a warrior."
>>"You watch the warrior."
>
>In print, with no inflection or other context, both are equally reasonable.
>When spoken, however, the root verb is probably going to get stressed.
>
>>Da<-bej = he certainly acts like it
>Da->bej< = you watch him
>
>The same goes for ambiguous syllable breaks such as {jIloy}.  The voiced
>stress will likely reveal what the word is intended to mean.

Yeah, that's so.  Though interestingly, when I play it in my head with
sample sentences for "he defintely acts," the {Dabej} starts to sound a
little closer to spondee than to trochee, probably because of the meaning
of -bej, which makes me want to lay on a bit of extra oomph to it.
Whatever.

~mark

Back to archive top level