tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 07 17:38:46 1997

ghojmoH

Qov wrote:
| If someone has canon of ghojmoH taking the thing taught as its
| object, please tell me it is accompanied by a note from MO that it is
| idiomatic. If not, it points to a lot of very ugly things, like this,
| which I am by no means advocating.

Sorry Qov, ghojmoH is only attested twice that I know of:

batlh qaghojmoHpu'  It has been an honor to instruct you. CK
batlh qaghojmoH     It has been an honor to instruct you. PK

Trying to avoid the quagmire of -moH, the answer to what is the object of
ghojmoH *may* lie in its gloss in TKD: "teach, instruct" (p. 86). Whereas
one may "teach" both, in my dialect of English at least one "instructs" a
person, not a subject.

I suppose if you really want to focus just on the subject matter, you can
use HaD "study":

yIHaDQu'  Study him well!  TKD
tlhIngan Hol DaHaDrup'a'?  Are you ready to study Klingon? CK
yIHaDqa'  Start studying again! CK
HaDlumeH, QuSlu'meH, SuDlu'meH lojmIt Da logh Hop Hut tenghchaH. (DS99)

| - Qov, who isn't going to say <tlhIngan Hol vIghojqangmoH> anymore.

-- Voragh

Back to archive top level