tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 06 11:59:51 1997

Re: Joke word - HoSchem

[email protected] on behalf of peHruS wrote:

> Fianally, if the language is never to expand it is DEAD.

No, if the language is never *used*, it is dead.  Stop complaining about it,
and use it.  Don't make it up, use it.

> We cannot write Hamlet or any other project of KSRP.  We cannot
> translate Jonah, the Psalms, or any other part of the Bible.  We do not have
> the words and you will not allow us to construct them.  True, {beQwI'} for
> "shelf" in Hamlet is not Okrandian canon.  Does this mean KLI should reject
> Hamlet entirely?  Not even offer it for sale?  Is KLI selling confusing
> material while claiming to use only Okrandian examples of tlhIngan Hol?

You really need to take a step back and look at what you're saying.

> Now,
> SuStel disagrees with Capt. Krankor, one of the forefathers of the analysis
> of tlhIngan Hol; and, Capt. Krankor apparently has known the language a lot
> longer than SuStel.  We need to draw some conclusions.

"Far from being static, Klingon has always been in the midst of controversy
and argument [...].  Krankor's column seems guaranteed to start some strenuous
debate.  The many letters from readers [...] reveal multiple disagreements and
langauge that the fan community sees as a static phenomenon, Klingon is alove
and well and filled with people choosing up sides for one grammatical
roughhouse after another.

"Which, I hope you won't mind my saying, is how I like it."

---Lawrence M. Schoen, HolQeD Volume 6, Number 2.

The moment the KLI decides to make sweeping decisions about how it's going to
rule Klingon is the day that I am no longer a member.  Yes, I do disagree with
a lot of what Krankor says.  Does that mean I don't want him to say it?
Certainly not!  Does his longer association with the language make him somehow
better?  No way!  Does mine make me better than a newbie?  Not a chance!

Have you ever considered that there's a *reason* that no one seems to accept
your interpretation?

> In Israel, the
> Language Coinage Bureau is a council (quprIp) which analyzes and discusses
> coinage methods (ja'chuq), then determines and broadcasts the results which
> are acceptable to them.  Israeli Hebrew grows thus.  Whenever an author
coins
> a new word, the Bureau reviews it and publishes its recommendations.  What
> did MO mean by <the KLI should take the language and run with it>?

You can twist anything to make it support what *you* want, but this
pseudo-quote is taken entirely out of context.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level