tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 06 11:06:07 1997

Re: Joke word - HoSchem

In a message dated 97-07-04 18:29:04 EDT, charghwI' writes:

> > SKI:  I posted {Hu'Sov} in the pattern of {leSSov} and ~mark approved it.
>  >  However, it cannot be canon because MO has not used it.  So far, KLI
has
>  > proclaimed we cannot extract parts of words.  True, or will "clearly
>  > analyzable parts" be allowed to help tlhIngan Hol grow?
>
>  In TKD, Okrand clearly tells us not to do this. In posts since
>  this, Okrand clearly tells us not to do this. I'm sorry I missed
>  that Okrand approved {Hu'Sov}. Would you mind quoting his
>  approval so I can begin to understand what it is supposed to
>  mean? Right now, I sincerly don't have a clue.

Seems you have misread large portions of the abovementioned post.  No one
ever said Okrand even saw this post, let alone approved {Hu'Sov}.  Neither
was it Okrand who quoted "clearly analyzable parts."  That's why you cannot
find the source looking in his writings.

The source was this listserv and ~mark just last week.

Fianally, if the language is never to expand it is DEAD.  mataHmeH maSachnIS
(TKW)  We cannot write Hamlet or any other project of KSRP.  We cannot
translate Jonah, the Psalms, or any other part of the Bible.  We do not have
the words and you will not allow us to construct them.  True, {beQwI'} for
"shelf" in Hamlet is not Okrandian canon.  Does this mean KLI should reject
Hamlet entirely?  Not even offer it for sale?  Is KLI selling confusing
material while claiming to use only Okrandian examples of tlhIngan Hol?  Now,
SuStel disagrees with Capt. Krankor, one of the forefathers of the analysis
of tlhIngan Hol; and, Capt. Krankor apparently has known the language a lot
longer than SuStel.  We need to draw some conclusions.  In Israel, the
Language Coinage Bureau is a council (quprIp) which analyzes and discusses
coinage methods (ja'chuq), then determines and broadcasts the results which
are acceptable to them.  Israeli Hebrew grows thus.  Whenever an author coins
a new word, the Bureau reviews it and publishes its recommendations.  What
did MO mean by <the KLI should take the language and run with it>?  I am glad
we are waiting for clarification from MO.  I am glad we are getting new words
from MO.  But, I still want us to be an integral part of developing
compounds, yea, even complex constructions, from existing stem words.  I,
too, have become much more conservative.

One of my tlhIngan Hol students in Westminster, Colorado is an aviatrix.  She
has epitomized the debacle of the current state of lack of technological
terms in a highly developed technological society by devising the descriptive
phrase for "flaps":  puvbogh jan chungH'amoHmeH 'qoj pepmoHmeH janmey.  If we
have to use such descriptive terms each time, we will not be efficient--a
quality prized by tlhIngan Hol jatlhwI'pu'.

peHruS

Back to archive top level