tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 04 12:13:16 1997

Re: Analysis of new Skybox cards

ja' Qob:
>No new words in this sentence, but we finally see how Okrand uses
>{latlh}.  It is apparently a "pseudo-number" similar to {Hoch},
>{HochHom} and {'op}, and goes before the noun it modifies.

The only example of {HochHom} we've seen places it *after* the noun.

>{Heghpu'bogh tlhIngan mInDu' lupoSmoHlu'.}
>"Someone opens the eyes of the Klingon who has died."
>
>Okrand seems to be remembering the {lu-} prefix on his {-lu'} verbs now!

It's only on {tu'lu'} that he consistently leaves off {lu-}.  He's done it
from the very beginning: TKD page 39, introducing the "there is" idea, says
{naDev puqpu' tu'lu'} "there are children around here."

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level