tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 04 05:18:14 1997

Re: Re : Re: KLBC: Klingon desktop items (nuqneH)

And don't forget the ever popular "Yo!" I like it because it is
at least as meaningful as any of the other greetings listed
here. I do think it is healthy to think about this when anyone
gets too worked up about interpreting exactly when it is
appropriate to say {nuqneH}. Just because it roughly means,
"What do you want?" that does not necessarily mean that you
would say it when a human would say, "What do you want?"

charghwI'

On Wed, 25 Jun 1997 20:28:44 -0700 (PDT)  Norman Thomas
<[email protected]> wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:
>
> > When I explained to a friend that Klingons didn't use really
> > greetings, but
> > such things as {nuqneH}, he reminded me that young French people use
> > such an rude phrase as a greeting. Pronounced approximately
> > {qesta'ta'}
> > (with an English "s", not a tlhingan Hol "S") it might be roughly
> > translated
> > as "what do you have to ask? what's your problem?}
> >
> > Qapla' -- HdW
>
>  Please compare the Australian owyergoin (How are you going?) and the
> British How do you do? (yes I know, how do you do what?) as other
> greetings. The French have also said ca va (pron: sa va) as a greeting
> which would be close to the above Australian expression. Besides a
> greeting heard in many languages is good day [examples bonjour, buenos
> dias, buongiorno, guten tag] and just what does that mean : after all an
> accepted reply in all of those languages is to repeat the same word -
> not exactly the norm for human languages..
> I believe the French phrase referred to is "qu'est-ce que tu as?" [pron:
> kesk' tu a] which translated means "what have you got?".
>
> nuqneH. cha'wIgh

Back to archive top level