tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 04 05:18:06 1997

Re: KLBC: Go back three spaces...

On Thu, 26 Jun 1997 00:14:04 -0700 (PDT)  Rikterman
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm trying to translate one of the Chance cards for my Klingon Monopoly
> game and I've run into this problem. Is there any way of telling someone
> to go backward? I have to say "Go back three spaces". My first attempt
> was...
>
> wej yoSmey yIghoSHa'
>
> ..but, placing your token on any space other than the one that is three
> "districts" ahead will satify this command. How about...
>
> wej yoSmey yIHeD
>
> ..can the distance or method of movement be the object of the sentence?

It doesn't have to. Measurements like this can just be one of
those nouns at the beginning of the sentence which is neither
the subject nor object. It sets the environment for the action,
much like a time stamp or locative. It describes something about
the action of the verb, though it is not the object of the
verb's action. Retreating is not an action performed upon the
three spaces. The three spaces merely form the environment in
which the intransitive action of retreating occurs.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level