tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 03 20:05:17 1997

Re: HolQeD 6.2 SkyBox vocab

[email protected] wrote:

>   In the latest HolQeD, we get some new vocab (albeit some of it tough to
> give a precise translation) from the reprinted SkyBox card info.  I won't
> reveal all the new vocab here, for those of you who haven't gotten the HolQeD
> yet, but there were two questionable words that I was wondering about:

I guess I'm not quite as kind-hearted.  I went ahead and pulled them all
apart in an earlier message.  (Hey, we've got some of the cards already
by the simple expedient of spending money and buying them!  They've been
out for weeks, so I don't feel *too* guilty for not waiting.  If I
hadn't known Lawrence intended to print this in HolQeD, I'd have posted
what I have three weeks ago.)

>   S32 says <'oy'naQ 'vI law' tlhuD 'oH.>  I assume that the <'vI> is a typo
> (then again, it could be derived from <pe'vIl>).  If <'vI> *is* a typo, I'm
> wondering what it was supposed to be.  Could it be 'Iv, or vI'? Of course we

It should be {'ul}.  Easy to see how it could migrate to {*'vI},
especially if someone's handwriting was unclear.

>   S33 says <HovpoH Hut vagh cha' wa' vI' jav> at the end, which along with
> the last couple sentences wasn't translated into English.  This makes the
> verb <'agh> quite hard to translate, unless the actual SkyBox card includes
> the translation and it merely was unprinted in HolQeD. Anyway, a quick
> inspection of the Star Trek Chronology verifies that the above stardate is
> indeed when the special Cloaking Device was used, and so the <vI'> in the
> above sentence would appear to mean <mark, (in stardates)>.
>    But I doubt that is true, since <vI'> is right next to <DoD> in TKD
> Addendum, making <DoD> the word that I expect Okrand intended to use above,
> but accidentally wrote down <vI'>.

No, I don't think so.  Remember, {vatlhvI'} "percent" ends in {vI'}.  To
me, it seems to be "decimal".  Some mathematician read out numbers "one
three five seven decimal six three"; perhaps Klingons do as well.

--
Qob la' (tlh.w.D. quttaj ra'wI')
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD qhojwI'

[email protected]