tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 03 17:05:13 1997

HolQeD 6.2 SkyBox vocab

  In the latest HolQeD, we get some new vocab (albeit some of it tough to
give a precise translation) from the reprinted SkyBox card info.  I won't
reveal all the new vocab here, for those of you who haven't gotten the HolQeD
yet, but there were two questionable words that I was wondering about:

  S32 says <'oy'naQ 'vI law' tlhuD 'oH.>  I assume that the <'vI> is a typo
(then again, it could be derived from <pe'vIl>).  If <'vI> *is* a typo, I'm
wondering what it was supposed to be.  Could it be 'Iv, or vI'? Of course we
already have 2 (or 3, see below) definitions for each of these words, so
maybe to avoid homophony it *is* 'vI (although an initial glottal stop
followed by another consonant would be unique).

  S33 says <HovpoH Hut vagh cha' wa' vI' jav> at the end, which along with
the last couple sentences wasn't translated into English.  This makes the
verb <'agh> quite hard to translate, unless the actual SkyBox card includes
the translation and it merely was unprinted in HolQeD. Anyway, a quick
inspection of the Star Trek Chronology verifies that the above stardate is
indeed when the special Cloaking Device was used, and so the <vI'> in the
above sentence would appear to mean <mark, (in stardates)>.
   But I doubt that is true, since <vI'> is right next to <DoD> in TKD
Addendum, making <DoD> the word that I expect Okrand intended to use above,
but accidentally wrote down <vI'>.

If anyone has these actual SkyBox cards, or any other ideas/insights about
the new vocabulary from HolQeD 6.2, feel free to reveal them.

-taD
<rut bIr 'awje'>

Back to archive top level