tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 24 08:51:07 1997

(KLBC) *Iowa*vo' jabbI'ID

SuStel, I tried some sentences. Have a look at them:

qaStaHvIS Soch tera' jar, yoS *Iowa*Daq jISaHtaH.

I have been in Iowa for seven months now.
lit.: while seven earth-months occurred, I was continuously present
      in the district Iowa.

(I'm using {yoS} to indicate what type of object "Iowa" denotes,
and I didn't want to use {yIn}, because a) I don't remember what
the conclusion of the discussion about using {yIn} for "live at"
was and b) the INS might object to me using something that sounds
like "permanent residency" :)

pImqu' juHyoSwIj.

It's very different from home.
lit.: My home-district is very different.

vaj jIlISnIStaH.

Therefore, I have to adapt.
lit.: Thus I need to adjust.

(I'm still in the process of adjusting.)

qaStaHvIS rInpu'bogh DISmey, tujqu' DISpoH tuj, 'ach motlh tujqu'be'.

Although the last couple of summers were very hot, they usually aren't.
lit.: during the years that are finished, the hot time of the year
      was very hot, but usually it isn't.

(I don't know about {motlh} as an adverbial; I've added it to the list
in the addendum, but didn't write down the source :( ; there should be
a more concise way to express the idea of this sentence)

*Iowa*Daq QaDHa'qu' je.

In Iowa they're also very humid.
lit.: In Iowa, they are very undry as well.

*Iowa*Daq DISpoH bIr bIr law', juHDaq DISpoH bIr bIr puS.

The winters at home are less cold than the ones in Iowa.
lit.: The cold time of the year in Iowa is colder than the cold time
      of the year at home.

(I'm not sure if this is grammatical, would I have to say s.th. like
{*Iowa*Daq qaSbogh DISpoH} ? see also the subject line, is it ok?)

HIvtaH SuS bIrqu'!

A very cold wind keeps attacking!
lit.: A very cold wind attacks continuously!

(I can live with the lit., if the "again and again" meaning cannot
be expressed - but I would prefer to see how it might be done :)

juHDaq ngem law' law' *Iowa*Daq ngem law' puS.

Iowa has less forests than home.
lit.: there are more forests at home than there are forests in Iowa.

(sim. to above maybe {juHDaq ngem tu'lu'bogh}?)

*Switzerland*Daq HuD ngech joq tu'lu'be' net Sov.

We all know, that Switzerland is flat.
lit. One knows that there are no mountains or valleys in Switzerland.

(See "Asterix in Switzerland" :)

*Iowa*Daq rap.

It's the same with Iowa.
lit.: In Iowa it is the same.

(I could have said {rap *Iowa*}, but I wanted to keep it in the same
position as the thing I'm comparing it to, which was Switzerland and
appeared as *...*Daq)

'ach 'IH *Iowa*.

Nevertheless, Iowa is a nice place. :-)
lit.: But Iowa is beautiful.