tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 23 16:52:17 1997

RE: _Inferno_ 3:1-9

ghItlh 'Iwvan:

>  mujuSchugh vay', Do'Ha'ghach vengDaq ghoS;

Does {juS} mean "pass _through_" or just "overtake, pass by"?
Also, if you want to avoid the controvercial {-ghach}, how about

    mujuSchugh vay', vaj veng Do'Ha'Daq ghoS

Actualy, I wonder if {-DI'} would be more appropriate instead of {-chugh}?
I feel that {-DI'} implies more certainty: "when(ever) one passes through,
(and it's certain that someone will)", vs. "if someone passes through (but
they may not)".  It's kind of a subtle distinction; maybe too subtle (or
maybe the distinction is just in my own mind).

>  mujuSchugh vay', mevbe'bogh 'oy'vaD Duv;
                                   ^^^
               should this be {-Daq}?

(pe'...)

>  Su'elbogh tlhIH, Sutul 'e' yImevchu'.

majQa'!  Qu' yaHwIj lojmIt DungDaq mu'tlheghvam vIghItlh vIneH jay'!

>--'Iwvan

-- ter'eS

Back to archive top level