tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 22 18:03:08 1997

Kai Kassai

Regarding the words "Kai" and "Kassai," SuStel wrote:

> These are not Klingon words.  The first looks like it might be a Bajoran word
> we've heard on DS9, which represents the spiritual leader of that planet.  The
> second looks like "Bassai," is is a master poet or song-writer for Klingons.
> This is not a word in {tlhIngan Hol}, and we don't know what it means.
> Perhaps it is a borrowed term?  Maybe it is a particular Klingon's name, who
> was so good at it that others are named after him?

Sorry, but nope and nope! :-) Both of these words are from... "The Final
Reflection!"  They were used repeatedly by Tagore, Krenn and company.  {kai}
seemed to be the klingonaase word for "Hail," and {kassai} was the same, only more
emphatic.  {kassai} almost had the connotation of "long live," as in "long
live the king!"  However, I am curious to know where the original poster heard
them.  I have only seen them in TFR, and in that klingonaase summary floating
around the 'Net.

-mIqIraH

Back to archive top level