tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 21 06:40:50 1997

KLBC: First attempt

*maqlIy* 'oH pongwIj'e'.  De'tej jIH.  QIt tlhIngan hol vIghojtaH.

What I hope I said was: "My name is MaqlIy.  I am an information
scientist. I am learning the Klingon language slowly."

Should it be vIghojlI'?  My first impulse was to use -taH since even
native speakers continue to learn new words throughout their lifetimes,
but then I thought there might be a "without pause" concept implied "I
learn Klingon and never do anything else". -lI' with the concept of
progress toward a specific stopping place doesn't seem right either.

Will I give offense or humiliate myself by calling myself MaqlIy?  I think my
name would sound like either maq lIy or maghwI' to a native speaker, so I
thought I should  force it in the preferred direction.

Back to archive top level