tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 16 14:25:04 1997

KLBC:Re:Quotable Quotes

>> Knowledge itself is power.
>> Ipsa scientia potestas est.
>> woQ 'oH Sov'e'
>
>"Knowledge is political authority."  This is one interpretation of the saying
>(although I've never seen it with the "itself" thrown in).

How would I say "itself, himself, etc.?  Would it be possible to use the
suffix <-egh> alone, putting it after the noun to make it an adjective of sorts?

>> Even one hair has a shadow.
>> Etiam capillus unus habet umbram.
>> QIb ghajtaH wa' jIB chev

>{chev} doesn't mean "be seperate," as in "be a different thing."  It means
>"cause to be in two or more parts."

How would <reH QIb ghajtaH wa' jIb> sound?

>> Fools laugh at the Klingon and Latin languages!
>> Rident stolidi verba <Klingon> et Latina!
>> tlhingan je <Latin> Holmey Hagh qoHpu'

>But you don't "laugh the language."  This is ungrammatical.  You must add
>some
>supporting context.

So there is no way to say "at" in the sense I used here?

>> What the gods want happens soon.
>> Cito fit quod dii volunt.
>> vay' luneHchugh _Snapu'_ qas 'oH.
>
>What's "Snapu'"?

That was supposed to be <_Sanpu'_>  I couldn't find any word for "God", so I
tried to use this to mean "the Fates".

Anyway, SuStel, thanks for the help, and also for sticking up for me (at
least I think you were, if my translations are correct!)  I remember seeing
somebody putting what they were saying in Italian as well as Klingon (as you
yourself pointed out), so I figured that it would be a bit of homage to give
these quotes, sayings from some of the most honorable orators of all time,
such as Seneca and Plato, in their native tongue, too.  And for the people
who have California redwoods stuck up their arses, I'll keep my E-Mails in
English and Klingon, so long as they promise to pull their heads out of
their egos!    :)

Back to archive top level