tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 16 07:52:31 1997

Re: Quotable quotes

>Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 02:20:22 -0800
>From: Ivan A Derzhanski <[email protected]>
>
>David Trimboli wrote:
>> January 14, 1997 10:43 PM, jatlh George Morton:
>> > Even one hair has a shadow.
>> > Etiam capillus unus habet umbram.[...]
>> {QIb ghajtaH je wa' jIb}, "One hair also has a shadow,"
>> although this may not mean what you want it to in some situations.
>
>Do we know that {jIb} can refer to a single strand of hair as well
>as an entire chevelure?  And why the aspect suffix on {ghaj}?

I wondered about the term for a strand of hair myself.  We have no
evidence, really, to suspect it, but somehow "jIb" sounded wrong to me as a
single strand.  We've really got nothing else to go on, though.

>> > Fools laugh at the Klingon and Latin languages!
>> > Rident stolidi verba <Klingon> et Latina!
>> > tlhingan je <Latin> Holmey Hagh qoHpu'[...]
>> But you don't "laugh the language."  This is ungrammatical.
>
>{tlhIngan Hol _Latin_ Hol je vaq qoHpu'.}

Excellent.

>> > The appearances of things are deceptive.
>> > Fallaces sunt rerum species.[...]
>> Here's an idea for a complete reworking of this idea.
>>
>> rut toj Dochmey Hur.
>> Sometimes the outside of things deceive.
>
>How about {pIj Dolmey chaHbe' Da Dochmey} `Things often appear to be
>what they aren't'?

chaHbe'bogh, you mean?  Hmm.  I find myself wanting to wax poetic with
proverbs, especially ones like this...

rut rapbe' Dochna' DochHey je

Or something.

I note you changed from "sometimes" to "often," 'Iwvan.  Been deceived a
few times too many, eh? :)

>> > Honor is not everything; it is the only thing.
>> > Gloria omnia non est; res sola est.
>> > Hoch oH'be' quv'e' ; neH Doch 'oH quv
>>
>> {neH} always comes *after* the word it modifies.
>
>Also it means `only, merely, just', not `the only/unique'.  Not nearly
>the same thing, except that they happen to share a word in English.
>
>> [...] Hoch 'oHbe' quv'e'; Doch neH 'oH.
>
>`Honour is not all; it is merely a thing.'  That won't do, SuStel.

Not so.  When it follows a VERB it means "merely", when it follows a NOUN
it means "only".  "Doch neH 'oH" means "it is the only thing."  "Doch 'oH
neH" means "it is merely a thing."  Check p.57.

~mark

Back to archive top level