tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 14 18:58:32 1997

RE: chay'

January 14, 1997 3:36 AM EST, jatlh peHruS:

> In a message dated 97-01-13 18:58:31 EST, Sustel writes:
>
> << Here's another problem for you: although I don't think this is correct
> either,
>  I see it more likely to be {'ar beQ ghew} than {chay' beQ ghew} for "How
> flat
>  is the bug?"  At least {'ar} is asking for a degree of something ("how
> much")?
>   In Klingon, {chay' beQ ghew} is a perfectly grammatical question, whose
>  answer might be {vIgho'}.
>   >>

> SuStel, Please refer to TKD pp 69-70 Section 6.4.  You obviously need to
read
> very carefully how {'ar} asks the measure of Nouns.  {chay'}, {qatlh}, and
> {ghorgh} ask something about the action, i.e., the Verb.  {nuq} and {'Iv}
fit
> into Object or Subject slots as Nouns.  {nuqDaq} fits into the Adverb slot.

peHruS, please refer to my re-quoted text above, and compare that with the
topic of conversation.  You obviously need to read very carefully how I was
indicating that {'ar} comes *closer* to the idea that we're talking about than
{chay'} does.  I don't think *either* one is correct, though.

> I agree that Klingon is not a reconstruction of any Earth language, although
> it comes pertty close to a conglomeration of Navajo, Mayan, and Quechua.

I'm now going to restate something, just to make sure it's a little
over-emphasized: Klingon is NOT a conglomeration of Navajo, Mayan, and
Quechua.  One *cannot* use these languages to make conclusions about Klingon.
Observations, certainly.  ("Hey, look!  Klingon and Navajo do exactly the same
thing in this case!")  No more.

>  OTOH, patterns of language-thought indicate there are relative similarities
> in various languages.  We have seen some evident patterns even in Klingon,

And, of course, Okrand has specifically provided built-in violations of those
languages.  The best example is that of color words (see HolQeD 5:2 p. 7).  If
we've got one variation here, there may be others, which would caution one
from making sweeping judgements based on human language patterns.

> possibly because it really is a language devised on Earth, binding us to
> inherent patterns in our brains.  A prevalent pattern in Earth languages,
> from the several I have delved into, nowhere near all that exist, is that
the
> word  for "how" does a verb's action occur also asks "how" a stative verbs
> degree is measured.

I can just hear the Klingon linguists: "Interesting!  All human languages seem
to use their word 'how' to ask the degree of a quality!  That's very weird!
There's nothing like that in Klingon!"

> Finally, I resent your having been the first to reply.  BG does not equate
> authority, particularly in the case of a post not containing KLBC and
> requesting discussion from the listserv members at large. jIHvaD
bIjangqa'pa'
> maja'chuq ghomvam jIH je 'e' vIchup

WHAT?!?!??  Hey, I'm as entitled to respond to a post as anyone else.  I was
not intending to exert some fictitious BG authority on my response.  I
answered your post.  My job as BG is to help beginners, and I'm not forbidden
from reading and responding to non-KLBC posts.  If I have something to say
concerning one of your posts, I'll say it.  Why should I wait for someone else
to go first?

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian