tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 14 12:07:45 1997

Re: Sorta new ["End transmission"]

> jatlh marqem:
> >For speaking, I like <jIjatlhpu'>. The perfective aspect here is
> >just what you want, indicating that the speaking is a completed
> >action. Similarly, then, <jIghItlhpu'>, <jIlabpu'>.
>
> Neat idea, but I personally would say <majatlhta'>, for a conversation, or
> <jIjatlhta'> for a command.
     You mean <yIjatlhta'> for a command, qar'a'?  I personally prefer
<jIjatlhta'> to say that the conversation is over.  <majatlhta'> might not
work in every situation.  Suppose it is a one-way communication?  Or suppose
the person you are speaking to doesn't want to end the conversation yet?
The point of the end transmission message is that *I* am done speaking.  You
can go on yabbering away like a fool if you like, but *I* have finished.

jIjatlhta'
wIvqu', law'wI'pu'vaD Holtej jIH
| Thaddaeus Vick, Linguist to the Masses |    [email protected]  -or-    |
|                                        |     [email protected]      |
| I could be wrong.  After all, there's  |                           |
|      a first time for everything.      | http://www.crl.com/~dvick |