tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 13 15:00:09 1997

RE: Hello (son of)

January 13, 1997 2:23 AM EST, jatlh peHruS:

> So, is {SoSchIm} not canon.  After all, it has been in use.  We even get it
> from TNG.  Perhaps we need a clearer statement of what is canon, then.  I am
> inclined to use just about everything we see on this listserv.

We just had a big discussion on this!  Here's the final call: there's Klingon
canon, which is anything on film (or other media) by Paramount writers about
Klingons, and there's {tlhIngan Hol} canon, which is by Marc Okrand.  I think
that this list should certainly talk about both kinds, but the distinction
should be made between them.  {tlhIngan Hol} has a stable backround about it
(The Klingon Dictionary), and Klingon canon does not (Paramount writers'
weekly whims).

Perhaps this topic should get into the FAQ?

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level