tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 13 08:38:39 1997

Re: Hallmark Commercial

At 10:12 PM 1/12/97 -0800, you wrote:
:when was this comercial shown? where was it shown? could someone
:describe it at least? sounds like i missed something fun.
:
:syndee b

If memory serves, this commercial aired during the Christmas season of 1993
or 1994 to hype that year's Hallmark Star Trek Christmas tree ornament. It
was very well done and clearly had Paramount's full cooperation and
production facilities (at least their sets, costumes and makeup people).
Marc Okrand translated the dialogue which Robert O'Reilly (Gowron) delivered
well. The other two Klingon crewmen... not so well, unfortunately. The
following is based on my own transcription and that of Glen Proechel who
seemed to understand the other two crewman better than I did. Of course,
none of this has been verified by the script or any input from Okrand. Has
anyone talked to him about it?

                     HALLMARK BIRD-OF-PREY ORNAMENT COMMERCIAL

GOWRON strides onto the bridge of a Bird-of-Prey and greets his crew
(English in subtitles):

Qapla'
 Greetings!
pIj maSuvpu' batlh maSuvpu' 'ej maQapbejta'
 In our many battles, we have fought with honor and achieved... VICTORY!
vaj malopmeH tlIHvaD nob SaSuqpu'
 So to celebrate, I've gotten you all a gift.
tlhIngan toQDujHom 'oH
 It's a Klingon Bird-of-Prey ornament.

CREWMAN 1:
toQDujna' rurchu'
 It looks so real!

CREWMAN 2:
Qapqu' wov. po' 'oH jan Hov'e'                     [or, Hovmey ?]
 It even has working lights!

"At this point the subtitles above are far from being a literal translation.
The last line especially is troublesome. The literal translation would be:
The light functions very well. The star device is skillful." [Glen Proechel]

The commercial switches to Federation Standard displaying the ship and
giving the sales pitch.

After that we see the warriors speaking to one another as they leave through
the door.  [This scene seems to follow the rule: "If you can't remember your
lines, mumble a lot." We can only surmise that Dr. Okrand gave them some
legitimate lines and they chose to fake it instead." - GP]

CREWMAN:
(peghmo' ... )                                               (??)
 That was real nice of him.

CREWMAN:
HIja' (kvitch-kvatch-kvom) wISuqnIS                          (??)
 Yeah, we should get him a thank you card.

When I get home tonight, I'll rummage through my videotapes and watch it
again. Sometimes, after a long break, you hear things you missed the first
time (and, of course, my Klingon is better).

-- Voragh

Back to archive top level