tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 11 22:42:36 1997

RE: ja'chuq

On Sat, 11 Jan 1997, SuStel wrote (quoting 'Iwvan):
|>{De' wIja'chuq.}  `We tell one another (_or_ discuss) the news.'
|
|Given what we definitely know about {ja'}, then one valid way to say this
|would be to quote the news.  {maja'chuq <maHoH>}  "We told each other 'We're
|going to die!'"  This limits greatly the uses of {ja'chuq}, but I don't mind,
|since we don't really know much about how to use it, anyway.

ja'chuqmeH rojHom neH jaghla'.
  The enemy commander wishes a truce (in order) to confer. TKD
maja'chuqjaj?
  Can we talk?  PK
'uQ wISoppu'DI' maja'chuq.
  We will talk after dinner.  PK

Okrand's documented use of this verb would seem to support SuStel's view
that ja'chuq does not take an object.

Voragh

Back to archive top level