tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 11 15:16:09 1997

RE: KLBC: Translation

January 10, 1997 9:00 PM EST, jatlh Brent Kesler:

> reH Hol jatlhlu'taHchugh, not HeghtaH wo'.
> As long as the language is spoken, the Empire will never die.
> (Czech proverb variation)
>
> Is this a good translation?

Well, the first part is good.  I might say {tlhIngan Hol} instead of just
{Hol}, because {Hol} could refer to any language, and with the absence of
definite articles, there's no way to know without context.

I don't like {HeghtaH}, though.  This says "The Empire will never continuously
die."  I don't think this proverb is trying to describe the slow decay of an
empire, so you might just leave this suffix off.  {not Hegh wo'}.  But this is
not a grammatical question.  It's a semantic one.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level