tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 11 15:16:00 1997

RE: Hello (son of)

January 10, 1997 11:28 AM EST, jatlh Voragh:

> All of which avoids the original problem: what to say when tradition calls
> for the "X, son/daughter of Y" formula when you don't know--or prefer not to
> use--your father's name?
>
> "X, vay' puqloD" is probably be the most neutral, whereas "X, pagh puqloD"
> could be used if you were referring to, say, some petaQ who abandoned a
> pregnant girlfriend and was never heard from again.

Consider the graffiti at Abu Simbel: "Archon, son of Amoibichos, and Ax, son
of nobody, wrote me."  (People never change.)

Oftentimes, as I've come to understand, if one did not know one's father's
name, one did not use the "son of" formula.

Also, considering that Klingon women have nearly the same rights as Klingon
men (except for having a seat on the High Council, and there were only a few
who were being admitted to the Order of the betleH when Sisko infiltrated the
Empire's HQ), I'd expect to see {Y X puq} at times, instead of specifying
{puqloD} or {puqbe'}.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian