tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 11 15:15:44 1997

RE: Cut downs

January 10, 1997 8:18 PM EST, jatlh George Morton:

> I was wondering, are "yo' mama" jokes particularly offensive to Klingons?
> Or would it be better to make fun of their father?

Well, {Hab SoSlI' Quch} seems pretty horrible, so one would think . . .

> verengan oH SoS'e'   ;{
> Your mother's a Ferengi!  (Intentionaly using {oH} to make it even more
tragic)

Unless you're considering the social conditions of Ferengi females, I would
merely view using {'oH} as poor grammatical skills, not a well-directed
insult.  NOTE: it's {Hab SoSlI' Quch}, not {Hab SoSlIj Quch}.

> QuchDu' Habqu' ghaj 'e' boghjaj puqpu'lI'
> May your children be born possessing very smooth foreheads!
> (I think this is right, but I'm not sure how to properly use {'e'})

Again quoting {Hab SoSlI' Quch}, notice that it's not {Quch Hab ghaj SoSlI'}.
I don't know if you can "have" a body part.  That may mean possessing it like
any other thing, like a disruptor.  And why rely on {ghaj} when you've got a
perfectly good verb like {Hab}?

boghDI' puqpu'lI' Habjaj QuchDu'chaj!
May your children have smooth foreheads when they're born!

> (Of course, I don't plan to really say this to anyone, at least not someone
> who speaks Klingon!) Would I immediatley be slapped backhand across the
> face, challenged to a fight to the death?  :)

Are you kidding?  A Klingon wouldn't waste his time on {verengan Ha'DIbaH}
like you!   {{>:-D

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian