tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 07 17:36:21 1997

RE: ' between vowels

January 07, 1997 6:24 AM, jatlh 'Iwvan:

> Donald E. Vick wrote:
> >      I have a reminder to give here.  This is not a Klingon word we're
> > talking about, it's a transliteration of a greek word.
>
> Whatever its etymology, if someone wants it as a _nom de Klin_, if it is
> written in the Klingon alphabet (pIqaD or romanisation, it matters not),
> if it can be used in a Klingon sentence, it is a Klingon word, and the
> rules of Klingon phonology apply.
>
> > Also, it's a name, which even in Klingon do not follow the normal rules.
>
> No?  Cite a Klingon name which starts with a vowel with no preceding
> glottal stop.

I think you'd better glance at the "choosing a Klingon name" section of the
FAQ.
http://www.thomtech.com/~dspeers/klingon/faq.html

And now I will cite a Klingon name which does not begin with a consonant:
achghuQ.  I don't remember why, but he chose not to put a glottal stop on his
name; he did this deliberately.  He's a person you may see from time to time
on the MUSH, not a Star Trek character.  But it's HIS name, and if cares to
write it as {achghuQ} but say it as {'achghuQ}, who are we to stop him?  And
are you going to insist that trI'Qal make her name phonetically valid, and not
begin with {tr}?  Of course not; it's her chosen name.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level