tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 06 20:18:04 1997

KLBC: Translation Practice

TKD tells us that {batlh Daqawlu'taH} is "You will be remembered with honor"
and is literally "someone continues to remember you with honor."  This is
good for relating that a person, the "you", will be recorded favorably in
history or public memory.  If I were to translate "I will remember you with
honor" should the outcome be {batlh qaqawtaH}?

I have attempted to translate the Vulcan salute "Live Long and Prosper" into
{tlhIngan Hol}.  I realize that this may not be a typical Klingon expression,
but I would liken a Klingon saying this to an honorable Vulcan who saluted
the Klingon in {tlhIngan Hol} to the time when Worf said "Goodbye" to Picard
when {janluq pIqarD HoD} honored Worf with {Qapla'}.  My attempts at
translating this turned out as: 1. {nI' bIyInjaj 'ej yIchepjaj} "may you live
long -and- may you be prosperous" and 2. {nI'jaj yInwIj  'ej  yIchepjaj} "may
your life be lengthy -and- may you be prosperous."   Which of these is the
most accurate?

A friend and I have attempted to translate these simple sentences for
practice, starting by arbitrarily creating the English then translating into
Klingon. Please let us know how close we came to success.

"Where is the lunchroom?"
naDev meghpa' ?

"Where is my coat?"
naDev wepwIj ?

"I am going to my room."
pa'wIjDaq ghoStaH jIH.

"Let's go to the lunchroom."
meghpa'Daq Ha'.

"Eat that now!"
DaH Sojvatlh yISop!

"Don't disobey me!"
cholobHa'Qo'!

"What are you waiting for?"
nuq bIloStaH?

"You give me your chocolate now!"
DaH yuchlIj chonob

"You give me all your chocolate now or I will kill you!"
DaH yuchlIj Hoch chonob pagh qaHoH!

"If you don't give me all your chocolate now, then I will kill you!"
DaH yuchlIj Hoch chonobQo'chugh vaj qaHoH!

This last one was intended as a joke, a reversing of words to illustrate an
ill-affected mental state.  We realize that this is violating the rules, but
we tried follow the rules while breaking the rules (similiar to one saying
"dain bramage").

"I hope I didn't brain my damage."
QIHwIj vIyabpu'be' jItul

Any comments and corrections by anyone would be appreciated.
Sorry for the length of this post, I will continue to strive for brevity.

(Coming closer to choosing {tlhIngan pongwIj} and will join Caryn in the name
game)
Ds9op

Back to archive top level