tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 06 14:33:45 1997

Re: Translation, please comment

:{-Daq} with {'el} seems redundant to me.

It is. Here are all the attestations of 'el in canon and nary a -Daq among
them. Note that it seems to be transitive, though.

     mIch 'elpu' jay'
     They've entered the @#$% sector! TKD

     Hevetlh wIghoSchugh veH tIn wI'el maH'e'
     that course will take us into the [Great] Barrier as well. ST5

     HIq DaSammeH tach yI'el
     To find ale, go into a bar. TKW

     tach vI'el, HItlhej
     Let's go to the pub. RT

And "Unlike other nouns, these three words [naDev, Dat & pa'] are never
followed by the locative suffix -Daq." (TKD 3.3.5).

:>abandon all hope, ye that enter [here].
:>naDev bI'elDI', bItul 'e' yImevqu'.

In light of the above, one *might* say: naDev Da'elDI'. I'm not sure,
though, if naDev can act as an object this way. The only relevant example I
can find is:

     jIHtaHbogh naDev vISovbe'
     I'm lost. TKD

:bItul 'e' yIlon, 'elwI'