tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 06 13:17:55 1997

Re: Okrand and parmaq

>Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1997 09:31:36 -0800
>From: McReynolds <[email protected]>
>
>jatlh ~mark:
>> I thought Marc specifically said that we don't know the exact part of
>> speech for "parmaq."
>
>That's funny!  As I recall it, he said something to the effect of "Like it
>or not, we have a word for love {parmaq} from Looking for Par'Mach... we
>know it's a noun, but even I'm not sure of it's exact usage."  I could be
>wrong... a quick check of the archives will clear it up though!  Ahh...
>here it is!
>
>jatlh Okrand:
>We do know that there is a Klingon word for
>"love," meaning something like what we mean by the word.
>It is parmaq. We heard this word for the first time in a
>recent episode of Deep Space Nine where Dax says that
>parmaq is "the Klingon word for 'love,' but with more
>aggressive overtones." She accuses Worf of having a "bad
>case" of parmaq, which suggests it's a noun. (The episode
>is called "Looking for par'Mach in All the Wrong Places";
>there may be a good historical reason for the Federation
>choosing the spelling "par'Mach," but, regardless, the
>pronunciation of the word is parmaq.) Unfortunately, so
>far, that's about all we know about the Klingon word for
>"love." I'll have to do some additional research to find
>out how the word is used correctly in a sentence.

Sorry for the LONG quotation, but it was all sort of relevant.

Yes, that's it; I did not remember completely.  I remembered that he said
we didn't know how to use it, and extended that to "we don't know what part
of speech it is."  Note that he's hedging that matter himself, not saying
for certain ("suggests..."), but is basically treating it as a noun.

~mark

Back to archive top level