tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 06 07:44:24 1997

Re: Hamlet translations

ghItlh Kenneth Traft:
> >Doesn't this miss the double entendre use by the translator (Shakespeare)
> >of nunnery: a brothel?
>
> I kind of thought so too, but some people who study shakespeare say that it's
> not a significant part of the text and tend to overlook it for the "monastic"
> aspect -- go figure.  I actually enjoyed that part of it.  It was one of the
> few witty things in it.  Although McBeth is really the only one of
> Shakespeare's plays I could really enjoy.
<wrestling this thread back on-topic>
HIja', SeQpIr lu'mey vIqel, reH lu' 'IQ vImaS.
<*Lear voDleH> QaQ law' Hoch law' puS 'e' vIQub.
<*Othello> vItIvchu' je, 'ach *Branagh vImaSbe'.
batlh lu' ja' *Branagh, 'ach *Iago 'oSDI', qa'Daj mIghnIS law' qa'Daj mIgh puS.
   [Did that make sense?  I meant "His spirit is not evil enough".]
<*Henry vaghDIch> ja'DI' nIvbej.
*Hamlet vIbej 'e' vIHechqu'bej.

taDI'oS vIq, law'wI'pu'vaD Holtej jIH
| Thaddaeus Vick, Linguist to the Masses |    [email protected]  -or-    |
|                                        |     [email protected]      |
| gules on a saltire argent voided azure |                           |
| thirteen mullets of the second. Yeeha. | http://www.crl.com/~dvick |