tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 05 14:57:36 1997

Re: name question

ghItlh Marc

Also, what's with the fixation on names being nouns?  There are languages
> where names are full sentences (as here).  Compare the example cited,
> "Dances with Wolves" or various common nouns in Cherokee (old words for
> "automobile" included "it goes on rubber coverings" and "it stares"
> [reference to the headlights]; the name of the town of Nowata translates
> "water is all gone.").  To be sure, Klingon isn't Cherokee, but neither
is
> it English.  No need to fear non-nominal names.  Compare Maltz' name,
which
> is "matlh":  a verb, "to be loyal."  And there's Kang (qeng), another
verb.

I have no fixation on names being nouns.  As has been stated, the name is
up to the nam-ee.  I simply didn't want to mislead Caryn into thinking that
*voq* was a direct translation of her middle name "Faith".  It isn't.

SuSvaj

Back to archive top level