tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 05 11:12:07 1997

RE: KLBC: hello

January 04, 1997 10:16 PM, jatlh Caryn Law:

> SuStel, if you could "grade" this, that would be great. :)

nuqDaq 'oH "apple"-wIj'e'?

> eric d. zay wrote:
> >nuq QeD DaHaDlI'.

Actually, it's not your sentence, but I'd like to comment on SuSvaj's words.
He uses {nuq QeD} to mean "which science."  This is one of those times when
charghwI' would say, "Recast!"

QeD DaHaDlI'bogh yIngu'.

> logh QeD vIHaDlI' 'ej <mathematics> je <Russian> vIHaDlI' je.

The noun conjunction {je} must go *after* the nouns it's joining.
{"mathematics" "Russian" je}.

> Holmey jIghojtaH 'e' jItIv. muQaHqu' jabbI'ID ghom.

{Holmey} is the object of {ghoj}, so you must choose the "I" subject "it"
object prefix: {vI-}.  The same is true for {tIv}: {'e'} is the object, and is
considered as an "it."

Holmey vIghojtaH 'e' vItIv.

> qaStaHvIS neH wa' Hogh, mu'tay' law' vIghojqu'.

If you're talking about only one week occurring, then you need to say
{qaStaHvIS wa' Hogh neH}.  If you're talking about one week merely occurring,
then you can keep this the way it is.  Read up on {neH} in section 5 of TKD.

> <Chinese> je <Icelandic> vIHaDlI' je.

"Chinese" "Icelandic" je

toH!  "Iceland" Hol jatlhwI' law' vISov!

> tugh <National Guard>DaQ mangwI' jiH. Qu'vetlhvaD Holmey vISovnIS.

The noun suffix is {-Daq}, not {-DaQ}.  {DaQ} means "ponytail."

> tlhIngan Hol vIjatlh 'e' bellu'chugh, jIQub? {{:)

If you use {'e'}, and then the next main verb which it is the object of has
{-lu'}, then you need to change it.  Change {'e'} to {net}, and remove the
{-lu'}.  This is in section 6 of TKD.

Furthermore, {tlhIngan Hol vIjatlh} is *not* the object of {bel}!  And I
cannot parse this with the {-chugh}, anyway.  {bel} does not take an object.
I cannot say {targh vIbel jIH}.  Therefore, you cannot use {'e'} or {net} as
its object, either.

Here's a recast for your intended sentence:

tlhIngan Hol vIjatlhlaHmo', chaq bel "National Guard".
Perhaps the National Guard will be pleased because I can speak Klingon.

> -- pong vItu' 'e' jIQub: SISjev.

If you're stating something, and you're not sure if it's accurate, you should
use {-law'}.

pong vItu'law'.
I think I've found a name.

If you do know it's accurate, you don't need anything special:

pong vItu'.
I found a name.

If you want to make it known that you are absolutely certain that the
information is correct, you can use {-bej}:

pong vItu'bej.
I definitely found a name!

SISjev . . . hee hee!

--