tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 05 10:00:19 1997

Re: Gowran's Blessing

The Greeks did use different words for love.  From their persepect it seems

> LOVE was an important concept and whether I felt phila or eros or one of
the
> other's it was important to have the word.  I'm of course not a Greek
scholar,
> but I was told there were about 16 words for love from storge (not sure
of the
> spelling) to agape.

> Although Klingon doesn't seem to be overly concerned with large
variations on
> words.  The frequent use of CLIPPED KLINGON seem to indicate that the
culture
> is more based on brevity because of their warrior ways.  Interesting to
note
> may be the need to recognize everything they do in regards to the central

> concept of HONOR which is focal to the culture.
>
> I think Jerryl may have some validity due to the Klingon culture:
>
>      In the traditional sense, the Klingon people hold honor above
>      life -- although as with any culture, high-level politics and
>      personal gain get in the way.

Honor is a many faceted thing, especially in a feudalistic society like the
Klingon Empire.  All this being true we still have only two words for
honor.  However many shades of meaning there may be to the concept of
honor, only Marc Okrand can give us new words to represent them.  Nudging
the KLI won't help.  The KLI studies new words, it does not invent them.

SuSvaj

Back to archive top level