tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 03 16:00:57 1997

RE: KLBC - It's a trap.

January 03, 1997 4:47 PM, jatlh qeyloS:

> I want to say "Always assume that the other player is an enemy and that the
> next move is a trap."
>
> I think part of it might be:
> reH jagh ghaH QujwI''e' latlh 'ej [??????????] 'e' yIqaw

Until we get an example from Okrand, I try to avoid using {latlh} to mean
"another something-or-other" by putting it before or after another noun.
Usually, it's not needed anyway.  Context will do what needs to be done.
(Krankor goes on about context in the new HolQeD!  Yes!)

But here we have a problem.  You haven't provided me with any context.  What
player?  What's the game?  Let's see what we can do without it.

I guess I'm having trouble with the concept of telling someone that the other
player is an enemy.  In a game, isn't that whom you compete against?  An
enemy?  In the course of a game of chess, you may play against a loved one,
but during the game the loved one takes the part of your enemy.  It seems
rather redundant.

Aha!  There's a word I've just looked up, on a hunch: {ghol} "opponent"!

SuQujtaHvIS jagh ghaH ghol'e' reH 'e' yIpIH.  nutoj reH 'e' nID.
While you are playing, always expect your opponent to be your enemy.  He's
always trying to deceive you.

> Am I close? I can't find an adverb for next

In English, "next" is an adjective when used this way.

> or a noun trap. I thought of
> using [toj] but I'm not sure how to make it a noun any longer after your
> last post to me.

Aha!  That's the trick!  Don't make it into a noun!  **Use it as a verb!**  I
used {toj} as a normal verb above.  Have I captured the essence of what you
were trying to convey?  Remember, Klingon is centered around verbs, not nouns.
 To speak in Klingon, you must forget all those nouns you're used to in
English, and concentrate on the verbs.

> I thought [ghach] made a verb a noun but you said it marks
> it. Marks it how? Let me know.

See HolQeD 3:2, if you have it.  The short explanation: a word is "marked" if
it stands out like a sore thumb.  A verb with {-ghach} and no intervening
suffix is marked to a Klingon.  It looks funny.  It's only used to describe
poetic uses and highly technical terms which permit fiddling with the language
to make a point.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian