tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 03 08:44:49 1997

Re: ' between vowels

>Date: Thu, 2 Jan 1997 10:10:07 -0800
>From: "Andrew 'Ska' Netherton" <[email protected]>
>
>On Wed, 1 Jan 1997, jatlh Donald E. Vick :
>
>> My name there is taDI'oS, just as in my sig.  Page me.
>
>	I haven't seen this before in regular, day-to-day tlhIgnan Hol, so
>I'm thinking that this isn't a regular use of its structure, but how would
>I pronounce <taDI'oS>?  Would I look at it as <ta-DI'-oS> or <ta-DI-'oS>?
>If I'm not mistaken, the two *would* sound different.

Would they?  Why any more than "A-ni-ta" vs. "An-it-a" for the name
"Anita"?  I mean, I suppose you could work at making the syllable break
noticeable, but most of the time I doubt it would be.  I'd imagine properly
the syllabification would have to be "ta-DI-'oS", because (except for the
suffix -oy) Klingon syllables don't begin with vowels.

~mark

Back to archive top level