tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Feb 27 13:25:31 1997

De bello klingonico

~mark wrote:
: >From: "David Trimboli" <[email protected]>
: >jatlh Qaan maS:
: >veSmey law' vISuv 'ej batlh jISuv!
: >
: >Notice that I took the {-ta'} off of {vISuv}.  Since he's talking about the
: >time that he fought all these wars, he hadn't already finished them at that
: >time.  Remember, the time context is {ben law'} and {Suboghpa'}.  If you're
: >still unsure of this, refer back to TKD section 4.2.7.
:
: Hmm.  But can you fight a war?  You can in English, but does it make sense
: in Klingon?  It may.  I'm less opposed to this than to some other proposals
: for object-places.  Obviously you can fight an enemy, but the battle
: itself?

Fortunately, Klingon provides a variety of ways to fight a war (other than Suv):

ghob   do battle (v.)
  'ang'eghQo' quv Hutlhbogh jagh neH ghobtaHvIS ghaH
  Only an enemy without honor refuses to show himself in battle. TKW

  noH ghoblu'DI' yay quv law' Hoch quv puS
  In war there is nothing more honorable than victory. TKW

  ghobchuq loDnI'pu'
  "The Brothers Battle One Another" (title of the famous Kahless & Morath
statue) KCD

Qoj    make war (v.)
  No attestations in canon.

vID    be belligerent (v.)
  No attestations in canon.

And the corresponding nouns are:

may'   battle (n.)
  may' yIghuH
  Battle Alert! [i.e. "Red Alert!"] ST3

  may' ngeb tIv Hoch
  Everyone enjoys a mock battle. CK

  may'Daq jaHDI' SuvwI' juppu'Daj lonbe'
  When a warrior goes to a battle, he does not abandon his friends. TKW

  may'meyDajvo' Haw'be' tlhIngan
  A Klingon does not run away from his battles. TKW

  narghbe'chugh SuvwI' qa' taH may'
  If the warrior's spirit has not escaped, the battle is still going on. TKW

  wo' choqmeH may' DoHlu'chugh lujbe'lu'
  "... ending a battle to save an empire is no defeat." TKW

  *jIbechrup may' vIloS
  "I am ready to suffer battle. I wait for them." (TNG: The Icarus Factor)
  [lit. "I am ready to suffer. I wait for battle."]

noH    war (n.)
  noH ghoblu'DI' yay quv law' Hoch quv puS
  In war there is nothing more honorable than victory. TKW

  noH QapmeH wo' Qaw'lu'chugh yay chavbe'lu'
  "Destroying an empire to win a war is no victory..." TKW

veS    war, warfare (n.)
  notlh veS 'a toH manotlhchoH chenmoH (??)
  War is obsolete... as we are in danger of becoming. ST6

  taghbej mu'qaD veS
  Curse-warfare has definitely begun. PK

veSDuj  warship (n.)
  "A space vessel equipped with offensive weapons and suitable for battle."
  (Okrand's definition on MSN)

-- Voragh

Back to archive top level