tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 25 10:25:55 1997

Re: Qapla'!

Sam Gyseman BSc IT Eng <[email protected]> writes:

>I would very much appreciate it if people would write the Terran
>Standard translation of all their tlhingan-Hol messages, etc.

pIj qechvam tlhoblu'.  'ach rut jIHeQlaHbe' jIH.
jabbI'ID vIqonmeH, pIj tlhIngan Hol vIlo' jIQubqu'taHvIS.
qech rap vIja'meH DIvI' Hol vIlo'chugh, mu'mey'e' vImughchu'be'.
rut qech vIja'meH DIvI' Hol mu' puS vInob, 'ach motlhbe'.
tlhIngan Hol neH vIghItlhchugh, ghaytan yajwI'pu'vaD neH vIghItlh.

loQ taghwI'pu'vaD Do'Ha''a' ghu'?  wejpuH -- peDub'egh!

This is a common request.  However, *I* can't always do it.
Many times, I am thinking in Klingon when I write a message.
If I were to say the same thing in "Federation Standard", it
wouldn't be a good translation of the *words* at all.  I'll
occasionally include a summary of my ideas, but if I only use
Klingon, I'm probably talking to people who understand it.

Is this a problem for beginners?  Maybe so, but it's also an
incentive to learn.

> I am a
>beginner at this but I find one of the best ways to learn is to
>associate words from translations.

yImugh neH.  yImughtaH.  reH yImugh.
pe'vIl mu'ghom yIlo'chugh Daghoj 'e' vIlay'.
qawmeH Qu' ngeD law' nejmeH Qu' ngeD puS.

I myself found that one of the best ways to learn the Klingon
language is simply to translate.  Look up everything in a paper
dictionary and you will be forced to remember the vocabulary in
order to save wear and tear on your hands! :-)

>My Klingon is very rusty (my
>hovercraft is full of eels?!) but any help I can get would be great.
>Like a starter course for example.

I'll let David Barron reply to this.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level