tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Feb 22 14:09:13 1997

Re: Memory Prime

On Sat, 22 Feb 1997, Joel Peter Anderson wrote:

|Not really.  Actually - if it was SAID that way on the show, it would be
|a canonical example of a variant dialect.  Novels, on the
|other hand are *NOT* sources of any canonical material (they may USE
|canonical stuff, though). Although there are notable examples of cases
|where novelists use the language correctly (The opening of Memory Prime,
|for example).

If it's not too much trouble, could you pass along the Klingon in Memory
Prime (along with the author's "translation") for our edification? This is
not one of the Trek novels I have, probably because I didn't realize it has
any Klingon content. Though I will now look for it in the used bookshops
here.

I try to collect ALL examples of "Klingon" that have appeared in
print--both as grist for my AKD when an author gets tlhIngan Hol right, and
for my non-Hol files of variant Klingon languages from fandom (as part of
the apparently moribund Extended Corpus Project).

If you don't want to take the trouble to keyboard it, could you xerox and
mail me the relevant pages (I'll send you my surface address off-list). I'd
be happy to swap you a few pages from my holdings if you need anything or
send you a SASE.  This is a standard offer to the membership at large, by
the way.

-- Voragh

Back to archive top level