tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 18 06:56:23 1997

Re: nobHa' (was: tach Such)

peHruS responded to my inquiry about the usage of {nobHa'}:

> Thanks for bringing up {HevHa'}.  You did not add {lajHa'} to your list.

it was not my intention to provide a list of anything, I was just giving
an example...

> My concern is over the meaning of {yaHHa'}.  I have looked at {yaH} as
> different from {nge'}:  To me {yaH} feels like "being lessened,"  yaH wa'
> ghot loDvam jen law' Hoch jen puS renders as "This man is the
> next-to-tallest."  tera'ngan loDvo' cha' DeQ nge'pu' chom renders as "The
> bartender took two credits from the Earth man."

1) I assume you meant {yaH_chugh_ wa' ghot...}
2) "one person is taken away" can be interpreted to ways:
   a) "one person" is in the state of "being taken away"
   b) someone has carried out the act of "taking away" on "one person"
I think, the usual interpretation would be b) (sorry for stuttering :),
while {taH} as a stative verb should be interpreted as in a);
thus I don't think your usage is "good", but I could easily be wrong
what do the experts think?

> peHruS     batlh Sachjaj tlhIngan wo' tlhIngan Hol je

HomDoq

Back to archive top level