tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 17 06:48:19 1997

Re: nobHa'

answering Voragh:
> |-nobHa' "give back" *is* used in the sense of "refund" in TKW:
> |-   Huch nobHa'bogh verenganpu''e' yIvoqQo'
> |-   Don't trust Ferengi who give back money.
> |-
> |o.k. this doesn't make me happy, but... what can you do :(
> |
> You give (nob) the Ferengi money, the Ferengi gives it back (nobHa') to
> you. Seems clear to me.

sure it's clear, but that doesn't mean I like it :-)

> |-Wouldn't tlhapHa' be more appropriate for "take back"?
> |-
> |not according to the logic I used above. that would give you
> |something more like "put back", but canon forces me to change
> |my approach, which I will do further down, in response to SuStel
>
> I'm still not sure I understand your logic. As I see it, -Ha' can be used
> to describe the undoing of an *action* (i.e. the status quo ante is
> restored), while you seem to be focusing on the *actors*. For example:

exactly... but as SuStel accepted my notion of {nobHa'} meaning
"give back", "take back" or "bring back", depending on the subject,
I do not keep this original viewpoint of mine...

> Or am I still not getting your point?

maybe, maybe not... but it doesn't seem to matter anymore (see above)

HomDoq

Back to archive top level