tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Feb 15 13:05:22 1997

RE: HIQaH (*jeyD*)

Remember, beginner-level questions and conversations should have the subject
line labelled with "KLBC" in the front!

February 15, 1997 1:30 AM EST, jatlh jeyD:

> poHwI' vIje'pu'.

A clock is a "chronometer."  The word for chronometer is {tlhaq} (pretty easy
to remember, right?).  You'd only say {poHwI'} if you really meant "timer."

> QaptaH poHwI'wIj.
> paq poHwI' je vIneHpu' 'ej paq poHwI' je vIje'pu'.

You seem to be using {-pu'} as if it represented past tense.  It does not.  It
indicates that an action is completed.  This may be the case, but it's not
necessary.  You could say

paq tlhaq je vIneH 'ej paq tlhaq je vIje'.
I wanted and bought a book and a clock.

I translated it into the past tense, but it could also be present or future
tense.  You can be more specific if you like:

wa'Hu' paq tlhaq je vIneH 'ej vIje'.
Yesterday, I wanted a book and a clock, and I bought them.

I also took the liberty of removing the redundancy above.

> Correct me on my wrong!

Okay.  The sentence above is wrong!  :)

--
SuStel