tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Feb 15 10:26:10 1997

RE: Krankor's article

[jIjangtaHvIS paSqu'mo' jItlhIj]

Krankor proposes {mulegh SuvwI'pu'vo' cha'} "two of the warriors see me."

SuStel writes:
>I was really enjoying Krankor's article until I reached this point.  I have
>the same problem with it that you did.

I don't much like it either, and I certainly won't use it before I see it
in something official from Okrand.

>We have never seen nouns with Type 5 suffixes modifying other nouns.

Actually, we *have* seen a possible example of it.  One of the audiotapes
gives us {Qo'noSDaq vay' DaSov'a'?} "Do you know anyone on Kronos?"  It's
a little more logical to interpret "on Kronos" as modifying "anyone" here
instead of "know", in my opinion.  The location of the "knowing" action
isn't what's being discussed, is it?

>Indeed, despite Krankor's assertion that his
>{-vo'} trick is completely grammatical, it is not.  TKD p. 31 says, "When the
>noun-noun construction is used, only the second noun can take syntactic
>suffixes (Type 5)."  This would appear to invalidate this trick.

If this "trick" isn't a noun-noun construction but is instead something
else, the rule on p.31 does not invalidate it.  It in fact gives a very
definite way of distinguishing between a "true" noun-noun construction
and...whatever the proposed {-vo'} trick is.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level