tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 14 05:41:31 1997

Re: Success

Mark E. Shoulson wrote:
> >From: Marc Ruehlaender <[email protected]>

> >(maybe it is because my native language is not english, but this
> >picture doesn't strike me as making much sense...
>
> English is my native language, and while "snatching victory from the
> jaws of defeat" is a nice accessible expression to me, I will agree
> with you that not one of the proposals for translating it I've seen
> so far has been really appealing.

I have no problem with the image, and I don't think it's English-specific,
either.  But it does take a good word (a noun!) for `defeat' or `failure',
and I don't buy any of those that I've seen here.  I'm not fond of adding
aspect suffixes and the like to root verbs merely to make them eligible
for nominalisation by {-ghach}.  But what else can one do?

We're told that Klingon relies more on verbs than on nouns; it uses verbs
in many cases where English (and some other languages) would rather use
an abstract noun.  Yet it has a fair number of abstract nouns, as well as
a productive (we think) strategy for their formation from suffixed verbs.
Is it believable that there is a word for `success', {Qapla'}, but none
for `failure', and a word for `victory', {yay}, but no noun for `defeat'?

Or perhaps we should wait with the translation of some things until we've
been told what is hidden behind the remark that `[i]t is not known if all
verbs can be used as nouns'.

--'Iwvan

--
"reH Sov yInej 'ej Dap yImuS,          <dOstI bA mardom-e dAnA nEkO-st,
 jagh val qaq law' jup QIp qaq puS"     do^sman-e dAnA beh az nAdAn dOst>

Back to archive top level