tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 09 17:16:24 1997

Re: News from Pocket Books!

On Sun, 9 Feb 1997, Dr. Lawrence M. Schoen wrote:

|Because the KLI sells merchandise from Pocket Books and Simon & Schuster, I
|regularly receive advance catalogs of upcoming new books and similar items.
|The 1997 Spring/Summer catalog arrived in yesterday's mail and I was
|thumbing through it earlier this evening.  There are several Star Trek
|items in it (there always are), but of particular interest to this mailing
|list, and to Klingonists everywhere, is a new book by Marc Okrand!
|
|The book is entitled: KLINGON FOR THE GALACTIC TRAVELER.

povqu' De'vam!  I can already see the acronym: KGT (assuming S&S doesn't
change the title like they did the last time). But I'm a little surprised,
Lawrence. Don't you keep in touch with Marc Okrand? Yet, this is the first
you've heard of a new book in the works??

|Here's the blurb that appears in the catalog:
|"Didn't get a chance to buckle down and study the Klingon dictionary before
|your trip to Qo'noS? Don't worry, here's a user-friendly version to help
|out on that next vacation. Whether one needs to buy extra sunblock or order
|the gagh [sic] extra-lively, this is the book to have in hand. It may not
|teach Hamlet's soliloquy in the original Klingon, but this translation
|guide is just the ticket for galactic travelers."

Hey, this is a pretty clever - and Klingon-savvy - blurb. They spelled
Qo'noS right, they realize how hard to understand some fans find TKD, and
they also (sort of) mention the KLI's Hamlet! Speaking of which, Lawrence,
is there any more interest by S&S on publishing Hamlet as a paperback?

BTW, <gagh> *is* the correct Paramount spelling for {qagh} - it's used in
S&S's _The ST Encyclopedia_ and in the episode closed captions (as well as
the scripts I suspect). Think of it as the accepted 24th century Federation
spelling. Okrand, in fact, discusses the problems of non-Klingons trying to
spell Klingon names in TKD 5.6.

|So, while the book won't be out in time for the qep'a', it does appear that
|the folks at Paramount continue to see the profit in marketing Klingon
|materials.

I hope you send John Ordover (the Trek books editor over at Pocket Books) a
nice letter to this effect--on KLI stationery. And it wouldn't hurt to
mention the growing membership of the Institute not to mention how busy it
keeps you answering requests for information about tlhIngan Hol. Maybe
they'll even include a mention of the KLI and the tlhIngan Hol mailing list
in the book complete with mailing and e-mail addresses. Ordover seems to be
fairly accessible and even participates in book-related discussions on a
couple of the Trek newsgroups.

|The marketing notes in the catalog also indicate that the book is scheduled
|for September 1997, is 224 pages in length (suggesting to me at least that
|it's going to be half photographs like TKW), and will retail for US$12.
|
|We'll of course carry this book on the KLI's merchant page as soon as it
|becomes available.  And if Marc's willing to endure a bit of <<ngav>>
|perhaps we'll even have some autographed copies to sell.

Great, put me down for one. Consider this an advance order. Once you get an
official, final price for the thing, email me and I'll send you a check.
The KLI gets these books as fast or faster than anyone else. I won't even
deal with special ordering it through my university bookstore as I have all
the others. I've put up with their snide anti-Klingon comments for the last
time (and this on a campus obsessed with "political correctness"!).

Voragh

  Steven L. Boozer                              Cataloging Department
  [email protected]           University of Chicago Library

Back to archive top level