tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 09 11:08:42 1997

RE: Word Origin Speculation II

On Sunday, February 09, 1997 10:03 AM, [email protected] on behalf of
Kenneth Traft wrote:

> Posted for Glen Proechel, director of the Interstellar Language School

> 1)  Puns on the English words.  There are many, many examples of this.

> val = smart (valedictorian),

This one I hadn't noticed.  I'm not convinced, though.

> tIq = heart (ticker),

It's possible.

> loD = man (lord),

Hmmm . . . it doesn't seem likely, although this word was invented during the
time of Star Trek III, when Kruge was always called "Lord."

> 2)  Reversies.  That is, forming synonyms or antonyms by saying the words
> backwards:

> noj = lend, jon = capture, SIm = calculate, mIS =  confusion.

These are possible, although I'm not at all convinced.

> 4)  Internal changes:  In some cases synonyms are created by changing the
> middle vowel:  SeS = steam, SIS = rain, SUS = wind, ghur = increase (go up),

> ghIr = decrease (go down), magh=betray, mugh = translate.

I seem to remember someone explaining some deal between {magh} and {mugh}, but
I don't know it now.  But the others can be thought of, not as an Okrand
trick, but as legitimate relationships in the Klingon language.  With {ghur}
and {ghIr}, the {u} is thought of as the "high" sound, while the {I} is the
"low sound" (and is opposite what we English speakers would expect).  He does
the same thing with {Dung} and {bIng}.

> 5) Some synonyms are created by varying the initial consonant, often in
> English alphabetic order:  HIjol = beam me up, HIQol = beam me down.  Qorgh
=
> to care for, Sorgh = to sabotage, mol = tomb, nol = funeral.

These are a mixed case.  I could believe that {jol} and {Qol} could evolve
naturally as they are, and also {mol} and {nol}.  I'd have more trouble
accepting {Qorgh} and {Sorgh}.

> 6)  Sometimes related words share the same initial consonant.  notice the
> nature words with "ng".  ngem = forest, ngeng = lake, ngech = valley.

Perfectly natural function in languages.  This happens all the time in
languages, and isn't just an Okrand "trick."

> 7)  The most widely used trick besides puns is onomatopoeia: 'argh = get
> worse, 'ugh = heavy, Hagh = laugh, 'Iw = blood, 'oy' = it hurts, yay' =
> shocked, yIQ = wet (ick), yIH = tribble.  There are many of these and they
are
> easily recognizable.

There are two kinds of onomatopoeias in Klingon: the English joke, and the
legitimate Klingon onomatopoeia.  When something gets worse, one might shout
something that sounds like {'argh}.  Most of the others in your list are
legitimate, too.  However, I certainly wouldn't believe that {'Iw} would
evolve in the Klingon culture as one.  It's an English-speaker's joke only.

> 8)  Because they're so much fun, here are some more puns:

> bIghHa' = prison (big house),

I hadn't seen that one!

> Dor = escort (show someone to the door),

I don't know . . . it might be too much of a stretch.

> ghu = baby (goo),

Another perfectly legitimate onomatopoeia.  It's what babies say!

> HeD = retreat (head back),

I don't think so.  You'd have to come up with a better explanation.

> HoS = power (horse power),

Ooh, very clever!  Is it true though?

> jab = serve food (job),

Errr . . . I doubt it.  There are lots of jobs out there.  Unless Okrand
happened to take some of his notes with him to a restaurant when he created
this word . . .

> jar, DIS = month, year (jar, dish),

Huh?  What's the connection?

> lIm = panic (out on a limb),

It's possible, but . . .

> muv = join (to move from one organization to another),

Oh, I really don't think so.  That's just too much of a stretch.

> nIH = steal (nick).  Notice also that nIH
> means right hand, i.e., the stealing hand!

I could believe {nIH} coming from "nick" (I don't, though), but I don't think
it has anything to do with a "stealing hand."

> ngIp = borrow (keep),

A bit hard to believe.

> lon = abandon (loan),

I don't think so.

> paw' = collide (pow!),

Actually, this could be considered another real onomatopoeia.  The fact that
we also have {paw} "arrive" could indicate that {paw} is derived from {paw'},
and not the other way round.

> puQ = fed up (puke)

Oh, I like that one!

> or puq = child (puke, spit up).

Maybe.  I don't think so.

> 9) There are other tricks, a little more difficult to classify, but which
> deserve mention.  The word for animal <<Ha'DIbaH>> comes from:  Let's go!
> We shoot them!

No.  Actually, {Ha'DIbaH} came about because Okrand needed to invent a word
which meant "animal" (which is what Christopher Lloyd says in the movie), and
which matched his lip movements.  Try it out: say {Ha'DIbaH}, and then say
"animal."  Your lips move in the same way.  Many of the words used in the
movie do this.

> The sex-specific words for marriage are interesting and seem to
> derive from German: <<Saw>> (for a man to marry) from German Schau = to look

> whereas <<nay>> (for a woman to marry) seems to come from German dialect nei

> as well as English nay for No!, since a woman usually says no!

That's rather too far-fetched for me to believe without proof.

> The word
> <<mIr>> for chain is an interesting one because it seems to derive from
Soviet
> propaganda.  Workers of the world unite!  You have nothing to lose but your
> CHAINS.  The word MIR! peace is an ever-recurring word in Soviet propaganda.

This, too, is quite twisted.  I can't discount the possibility, though.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level