tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 09 07:40:55 1997

RE: Word Origin Speculation II

On Sun, 9 Feb 1997, Kenneth Traft wrote:

> Posted for Glen Proechel, director of the Interstellar Language School
>
> ***NOTE  -- This is speculation and is NOT canon

***NOTE  -- This is fantasy and is NOT reality

> 1)  Puns on the English words.  There are many, many examples of this.
> val = smart (valedictorian),
> ghop = hand (grope)
> loD = man (lord)
> pIn = boss (kingpin)
> pI' = fat (pig)

These are complete stretches; I don't buy any of them as intentional.

> 2)  Reversies.  That is, forming synonyms or antonyms by saying the words
> backwards:  megh = lunch,  ghem = midnight snack, puq = child, Qup = young,
> mol = tomb, lom = corpse, noj = lend, jon = capture, SIm = calculate, mIS =
> confusion.

/puq/ - /Qup/ doesn't work; it'd have to be /qup/, or course.  I don't
agree with /noj/ - /jon/, or /SIm/ - /mIS/.  Okay, so we have 2.  I'd
hardly call that a significant observation.

> 3)  Shortening of the English reference.  Often the first part of the word to
> which Okrand is referring is used instead of the full form:  Dargh = tea
> (Darjeeling), val = smart (valedictorian), HI' = dictator (Hitler)

Ditto.

> 4)  Internal changes:  In some cases synonyms are created by changing the
> middle vowel:  SeS = steam, SIS = rain, SUS = wind, ghur = increase (go up),
> ghIr = decrease (go down), magh=betray, mugh = translate.

I don't believe /magh/ - /mugh/ show any relation.  Again, scant evidence
to base claims of a "trend" on.

These are just too silly to accept:

> chIp = cut hair (chip)
> Dor = escort (show someone to the door)
> nuD = examine (nude)
> HoS = power (horse power)
> HeD = retreat (head back)
> jab = serve food (job)
> muv = join (to move from one organization to another)
> nIH = steal (nick)
> puQ = be fed up (puke)

I'll stop.  I just wanted to make the point that the vast majority of
these things (except many of the mentioned puns, which I agree are by
design, and are fun) are just random stretches.  If anything, it gives us
a glimpse into Glen's mind, not Okrand's.

> 9) There are other tricks, a little more difficult to classify, but which
> deserve mention.  The word for animal <<Ha'DIbaH>> comes from:  Let's go!  We
> shoot them!

The "shoot" you want for this to work is /bach/, not /baH/.  /Ha'DIbaH
DIbaH/ conjures up images of Monty Python's Holy Grail, and cows flying
through the air.

> I'm sure of some of you will find this far-fetched but I doubt that it's an
> accident.

I do agree that the puns are fun.  For most of the other stuff, there
seems to be far too little evidence (much of which is more likely the
product of Glen's imagination, less likely intentional creations by
Okrand) to accept as noteworthy.

--Holtej

Back to archive top level