tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 07 02:43:23 1997

Re: bommey mughbogh T'Lark (Re: weQwIj, Phrases)

jatlh 'Iwvan:

> Irene Gates wrote:
>> jIH je.

> yIyep.  naDev mu'ghomvam Qob law' mu'tlhegh naQ Qob puS.  `also, too'
> 'oSmeH {je}, wot tlha'nIS (_tKD_ 5.3).

bIlughba'.  It was an ungrammatical and unauthorized shorthand form of { ...
vIneH je jIH.}.

>> How about:

>>   cha' DaqDaq meQtaH weQwIj tlhegh;
>>   tugh, rInpa' ramvam, loj;
>>   'a toH!  jaghpu', juppu', pelegh --
>>   'IH meQtaHvIS, 'ej Doj.

>> Does anyone like this better?

> I think I do ... but I still can't help playing with Line 1 some more.
> What do you think of {cha' DopDaq weQwIjDaq meQ tlhegh;}?

I think I prefer {cha' DaqDaq meQtaH weQwIj tlhegh;}. For one thing, I'd rather
stress {meQ-} than {-Daq}.  Also, given that the candle is the subject of the
poem, it already seemed a pity to have to demote it to the modifier of a noun
phrase, and it seems more of a pity to demote it to a locative.  Just personal
preference, though.

>>>  reH jI'IQqu'taHvIS, vIbuS,
>>>  'ej qaSlaH Hoch Doch, not vIHon;
>>>  chaq nargh parmaq; chaq not vIjon;
>>>  ghu'vetlh qaq law' ghu'vam qaq puS.

>> [...] I thought {ghu'vetlh} and {ghu'vam}
>> would have to be stressed on {ghu'-}.  But in this case one can very
>> easily justify stressing the demonstrative suffixes.

> That is true: they're used because of the contrast, and `if the meaning
> of any particular suffix is to be emphasized, the stress may shift to
> that syllable' (_tKD_ 1.3).

MO said that about verbs, not nouns, although there's no reason to suppose it
wouldn't apply to them too.

> But even if the stress shift doesn't work,
> one of the most common licenses in Russian iambic verse involves a
> trochee en lieu of an iamb in the beginning of the line.

Whereas in English iambic verse, of course, the poet throws in a trochee, or a
dactyl, or an anapaest, wherever and whenever he feels like it.  That's why I
like Russian verse.

T'Lark

Back to archive top level