tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 03 11:45:38 1997

Re: weQwIj & Announcement

: My candle burns at both ends;
: It will not last the night;
: But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends --
: It gives a lovely light.
:
: cha' DaqDaq meQtaH weQwIj chu';
: tugh, tlheDpa' ramvam, loj;
: 'a toH!  yIqIm, jaghpu', juppu' --
: 'IH meQtaHvIS, 'ej Doj.
:
:Qum 'Iwvan:
:> I'd say {rInpa' ramvam}, though,
:
:{rIn} is glossed as 'be accomplished, finished'.  I wasn't sure whether it
could
:be used in the sense of 'be over'.  Voragh, how is it used in canon?
:
:T'Lark

Here you go. Unfortunately there are *no* attestations of the verb rIn in
Okrandian canon, only in its idiomatic use as "Over" and as rIntaH.

rIn  be accomplished, be finished (cf. rIntaH)
 - Yej rhin "Council is adjourned!" (House of Quark)  <--- FWIW

rIn  "over" (radio comm)
 - Dujvetlh 'oH nuq? rIn. What ship is that? Over. tongDuj 'urSva maH. jav
Hogh maH Qo'noSvo'. rIn. We am thy freighter... Ursva... Six weeks out of
Kronos. [Over.] (sic!) nuqDaq ghoS? rIn. What is your destination? Over.
rura' penteDaq Soj Doch <yuS> vIqIch. rIn. We is condemning food...things
and supplies to Rura Penthe. Over. (sic!) ST6

rIntaH  It is accomplished! It is done! (cf. pItlh)
 - luHoH rIntaH They have killed him. TKD
 - vIje' rIntaH I have purchased it. TKD
 - qa'vam De' vIje' rIntaH I have purchased the Genesis Data. ST3

pItlh  Done! It's done! I've done it! I've finished! All done! All finished!
["a common exclamation uttered upon the completion of a project" KCD] (cf.
rIntaH)
 - jabbI'ID pItlh Transmission completed. ST3
 - All the crew said, "pItlh." STK (novel)

IMPORTANT:

A general note to all: I'm always willing to answer usage questions like
this as it only takes a minute to cut and paste into a reply. But please be
aware that I don't read *every* message of *every* thread on this mailing
list and any others I subscribe to. (I get between 200-300 emails per day
between work and play.) If I don't reply to message thread within a couple
of days, chances are I'm just not following it. So, if you want me to
consult my notes, always Cc: me personally or ask separately. My mailer
flags messages sent to me directly so I can distinguish personal mail versus
mail received from a listserv (a VERY useful feature!).

Satlho'

-- Voragh

Back to archive top level