tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Feb 02 10:51:29 1997

Re: Hol mIw jabbI'ID cha'DIch

maq peHruS:
>We do have {ngoS tlhogh} translated for us as "This marriage is dissolved" as
>if it were clipped Klingon.

Where is this from?  Who translated it for us?
And it doesn't look at all clipped to me...

>It did not come to us as "The marriage
>dissolves."  This indicates to me that {ngoS} is more than a "stative" verb.

Whoa, step back.  Translating it as "is dissolved" is *exactly* what I would
expect from a stative verb, though it could easily be an artifact of the
translation.  {Qong loD} makes just as much sense to me when it's translated
as "the man sleeps" as it does when it's "the man is asleep".

There seems to be a distinction in Klingon between stative and
non-stative-but-still-intransitive verbs, but that distinction is not
necessary to resolve the nature of {ngoS} from {ngoS tlhogh}.  It is
quite obviously being used as an intransitive verb, and the *subject*
of {ngoS} is what winds up being dissolved.  Assuming that the source
is reliable, of course...

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level