tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 31 10:23:59 1997

Re: Translation of English Past and Present Perfect Tenses in Klingon

At 08:50 PM 12/30/97 -0800, charghwI' wrote:
>On Tue, 30 Dec 1997 15:44:49 -0800 (PST) Michael Rhodes
><[email protected]> wrote:
>> On this list I have seen this idea expressed many times, namely that �pu�
>> should only be translated by an English perfect tense, not an English past
>> tense, and that an English past tense should not have �pu� but should be
>> figured out from context.  This, however, does not seem to agree with the
>> usage in all of Marc Okrand�s published books on Klingon.
>
>At one of the qep'a' sessions in Philadelphia, Okrand explained
>about perfective vs. past tense, and then as the focus was
>moving on to something else, he muttered to one side, "Of course
>at one time, {-pu'} WAS past tense..." It was clear that when he
>was first developing the language, it was past tense and at some
>point, he decided to make it perfective instead.

An incidental proof of this (if any is needed beyond Okrand's saying so),
is that there is no word in Klingon for 'already'.  We have {wej}, why
not *{wejHa'}?  Answer: because the perfective expresses this notion:

wa'Hu' yuQ wIchargh. yo' wIcharghta'.
  Yesterday we conquered the planet.  We had already conquered the fleet.

wa'leS Duj vIje'.  nuHmey vIje'ta'.
  Tomorrow I'll buy a ship.  I (will) have already bought weapons.

-- ter'eS

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/2711

Back to archive top level